Employer Number - 19865
Old Palace of John Whitgift School
Old Palace Road
Old Palace School was founded in 1889. The Old Palace, from which the school takes its name, is a former residence of the Archbishops of Canterbury. It was presented to the Sisters of the Church by the 7th Duke of Newcastle. In 1945 the School became a Direct Grant Grammar School and in 1974 it became a fully independent girls school. In 1993 Old Palace joined the Whitgift Foundation which also administers Whitgift and Trinity Schools in Croydon. The Senior Department takes girls from 11 to 18 years of age and girls between the ages of 4 and 10 years enter the Junior Department.
The Chapel, Great Hall and library date back to the 15th Century. English Heritage takes an interest in this important site and during the School holidays visitors are able to enjoy the splendour of the historic buildings. In contrast, modern, purpose-built facilities include seven laboratories, a heated indoor swimming pool, and an Art and Technology building. In 2001 an impressive building for the Junior Department and one housing the Sixth Form and P.E. area were opened. As part of a continuing programme of new building a block of classrooms is under construction. The school also benefits from access to Whifgift Foundation grounds and facilities.